Wednesday 19 November 2008

One day I'm fine, the next I'm really ill

SATURDAY



John and the kids all had a lie in. I emerged at about 10.20am and immediately phoned mum and said I would love to go to Meadowhall and I’d be ready at 12 noon. Adrenaline pumping I got dressed and brushed teeth and had two cups of tea all in one and half hours which is a record. We did a bit of Christmas shopping and listened to the band in Marks, had dinner in Coal with Abi which was gorgeous. The staff said was I Helen from The Star. I’m feeling okay today which is quite rare for me nowadays so I’m happy.



SUNDAY



Watched TV this morning, the Remembrance service, and then got dressed. This year I bought an enamel poppy which I’ll wear all year round to show my respect. I’ve done some work on my degree and then sat and read the papers and watched TV. I was in contact with John all day as I have been buying Christmas presents for the kids. I’ve nearly finished now so I know if I get the call they all have something to open. I said this last year but I’m still here. Had a text from both Louise and Dianne who have had transplants and they are now eating and making good progress.



MONDAY



I managed to have breakfast, bathed and dressed for 1.30pm and then go on the computer. I’m on my next Open University assignment so it’s keeping my mind as occupied as it can be. ‘The call’ is always at the back of my mind. I’m trying to keep strong so ill last until I get the call.



TUESDAY



Hairdressers day whoopee!! The feeling of having my hair done and looking good makes me feel brilliant. This time I’ve got red hair with purple and black weaved in. I love it. Even though I’m on oxygen in a wheelchair there’s no point in not being adventurous, I’ve always loved having my hair done. Abi saw it and wanted her hair like it but I’ve told her to stick to blonde. Julie who I met through this diary has sent me the most amazing box of chocolates and I’ve dived in. I’ll certainly not be underweight anymore for the transplant. All in all a good day.


WEDNESDAY



Read in the paper about the girl who doesn’t want a heart transplant. I totally understand her reasoning and am proud of her decision. Having a transplant is not the be all and end all and when you talk to the consultants they tell you how it really is. This little girl has gone through so much is her short life that I admire her immensely.

I’m studying today and just sitting on the settee. I’ve tried to help John prepare dinner and mum tidied up a bit. Hospital tomorrow.



THURSDAY



Went to the Hallamshire hospital today for my monthly check up. I was there for about three hours. I’m okay and stable due to the slight tweaking of my oxygen and bipap and other medication. Six people came up to me and asked if I was Helen from The Star and said they avidly read the diary. They said it makes them not feel alone when they feel down and depressed due to their own illnesses. Also Val reads my diary and keeps all the nurses informed of my progress. Very tiring day but didn’t have a good night sleep.



FRIDAY



Feel a bit chesty today not an infection but just tight. My limbs are aching but I’ve just taken my pain killers so I hope they kick in soon. Two sets of aunts and uncles are coming to visit me this weekend so it will be nice to see them. I think I scared them with one of my last diary entries but as I’ve told you all one day I’m ok and the next I could be really ill. I’m going to mum’s this weekend as dad’s birthday is on Sunday and also I need some quite time.



*The Star’s Gift of Life campaign has recruited over 28,000 readers to the Organ Donor Register.

Currently, 8,000 people in the UK are waiting for a new kidney, liver, lung or heart. But a shortage of organ donors means hundreds people are dying on the waiting list each year. To sign up as an organ donor, visit www.thestar.co.uk/donor and click on the link to go to the Organ Donor Register.

Published Date:19/11/2008
Modified Date:19/11/2008

1 comment:

lulu said...

You're such a star and I am so proud of you. I cannot wait to hear when you get your call. Glad to hear you're munching on choccies!! Having some weight reserve is so important...I dont think I had enough personally. It will help with your recovery immensely. So glad you're getting your teeth stuck into your degree!!! I am pretty exhausted so far this week but I just have to get over this back and get some serious physio going!!!

Loadsa love xxxxx