Tuesday 14 October 2008

Dianne Wakefield- update and story

12th October- Update
Dianne is showing signs of improvement and is gradually coming off the sedation .

This morning (3rd October 2008 ) at 11.30 Dianne’s husband has phoned me to give me an update on her condition. The last time we spoke was last Thursday and everything was ok. John had the best nights sleep on Wednesday night that he’s had in 5 years . Then Thursday night he had a phone call saying Dianne had took a turn for the worse and had been put back on the ventilator and a machine to keep her new lung working ( a unique machine to freemans ) .They have put her on multitudes of different medications to help and also had to perform a tracheotomy. They don’t know what is wrong. It could be rejection, the lung could be damaged but at this stage they are taking it hour by hour. Dianne was so ill before having the operation and she fought to stay alive waiting for this and I hope and pray that she is going to fight this now with as much vigour .

Dianne has now been fully sedated since last Thursday and as soon as I know any news I will keep you all informed.



Yesterday this article was published after the Guardian at Dinninton published her story. Before it went to press on Wednesday night Dianne had her Transplant. She is doing well and her Husband says she is giving the thumbs up to everyone . I am so happy for her . So thats both my friends now . Lets hope and pray im soon.



Todwick woman's 'agonising' wait for donor




Dianne Wakefield, who is waiting for a lung transplant
Published Date:
25 September 2008
By Gareth Dennison


A TODWICK woman who is waiting for a crucial lung transplant has admitted her time is running out – after an agonising TEN false alarms.

Dianne Wakefield, of Staniforth Crescent, remains positive that a life-saving donor will be forthcoming, but says the wait is 'absolute torture'.

The 52-year-old, who suffers from auto-immune disease polymyositis, has been as far as the waiting room at Freemans Hospital in Newcastle before finding out a donation is unsuitable.

"You can't describe the emotional and mental torment that you go through," said Dianne, who has pleaded for more people to sign up to the organ donor register.

"It's absolute agony. But I now go up there with every intention of coming back. It minimises the stress that you put on yourself."

Husband John, 64, was a credit manager for a steel company before giving up his job to become a full-time carer for Dianne.

"We are really just on death row, just hoping that somewhere along the line we are going to get a reprieve," he said. "And it could be any time, day or night."

"Dianne disappears after they call, and I know that, if she gets the lung, our lives will start a new regime when she arrives home."

"I'm basically a nurse for her, 24 hours a day and seven days a week. I do the housework, cooking and washing. I do everything basically, and Dianne can't go out anywhere without me."

"We're really just surviving day by day. It's a time thing, and Dianne's is now running out very, very quickly. We have to guard against any infection, we are on tenterhooks all the time."

And when he officially retires next week, John will lose his £50-a-week carer's allowance.

"If you're not claiming any benefits then you have to do it all by yourself," he said. "We just feel so isolated sometimes and there are no support groups as such."

"We need to change people's perceptions. If people could see how Dianne is and not just stick their heads in the sand and do nothing about it, we can do that."

Dianne's problems began in 1997, when she was diagnosed as having a rheumatoid lung.

"I had some aggressive treatment back then, which helped," she said. "But it started to come back quite badly in 2002, and the same aggressive treatment didn't work that time. The lung disease just took on a life of its own after that."

"I have what they call an interstitial lung disease, which causes pulmonary fibrosis. It basically means all the little sacks start to die off, and so my lungs just get smaller and smaller and smaller."

"In 2005 I asked for a second opinion at the Royal Brompton Hospital in London, one of the best chest hospitals in the country. They told me that it was actually polymyositis, which is very similar."

She originally applied to be put on the list in January last year, but wasn't given the go ahead for a further four months.

"At first they said I wasn't suitable enough to go on the list," said Dianne, who had to give up her career at a big insurance company.

"I had to undergo a really strict exercise programme because at that time my upper body wasn't strong enough. We went back in May and they put me on the list."

Since then, 10 trips to Tyneside have seen eight end in unsuitable lungs, while the other two turned out to be double lung transplants, and so were given to someone needing two.

"I've been as far as wearing the operating gown in the waiting room," said Dianne. "About three months ago I had three illnesses virtually at the same time, and since then I've deteriorated quite a lot."

"So now I'm a top priority, which is ironic, because I've not had anymore calls since then. My time is running out. In July they were saying I would have about six months before I become too ill for the operation."

"I would plead with people to just contact UK Transplant and register as a donor. The donors are treated with as much respect as the transplantees."

"A lot of people say they want to be a donor, but then just don't sign up. It's so much easier if they have. Because, God forbid, if anything were to happen, checking the register makes it so much easier to approach the families. I definitely agree with the opt-out idea."

She added: "It will be so worth it when it happens. We are both still positive: it is going to happen."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The American Academy of Personal Training is a private vocational school licensed by the State Education Department. Offering 260 hours of concentrated study, The Academy curriculum integrates 130 hours of academic study in a classroom and 130 hours of practical (hands on) training in a state of the art gym.
---------
Brukewilliams
Internet Marketing